I’ve developed several Python projects in the distant past, and after recently releasing rsnappush and following it up with release 1.1, I’ve researched and learned several new methodologies that Python developers need to be aware of. A quick preface, though: I only write code for Linux platforms, so compatibility with Windows platforms doesn’t engage me at all. I therefore go with the simplest route for a Linux-only distribution. setup.py changes: use setuptools Back in the day Python developers relied on the distutils package, but now setuptools is recommended.
- My Android ssh server app can’t write to the SD card! My Android 8 phone has limited internal storage, so I keep my my 50GB+ music collection of mp3s, flacs, etc on my sd card. In general, Android doesn’t allow apps to write to external storage, except in their own private directory. Therefore, my ssh server app, SSHelper, can’t write to /storage/emuated/3333-ABCD/music or wherever. What I’ve been doing in the past is removing the card, and rsyncing with it.
- So I just made a release of a personal tool I’ve been using for a while, and cleaned up. rsnappush is a backup utility I’ve been using for a long time, solving the issue of wanting: incremental backups plain file access for the backup remote backup host has few utilities I’ve used EVBackup as my backup provider for probably 10 years or so because I get easy rsync and shell access, which allows me to do tricks with rsync like hard-linked files.
- I’ve been trying various themes for this site after getting it up and running. Initially I used Ananke, but after reading a review a bunch of themes I realized the huge banner at the top wasn’t going to work well for me, especially since I just had it as a solid background. So I’ve tried a few themes, all of which seem to have various issues of one sort or another.
- For some reason I got the itch to start actually working with my computer again. So after trying Grav out and seeing it’s not for me (being a little heavy-weight for a simple static website), I’ve decided to give Hugo a try. I’m starting with the website’s main page, and going to slowly move my old personal website content over to this system. My old system used some hand-made XSLT from eons ago when I thought XHTML and all things XML-related were the future.
- Older stuff I wrote from years ago.